Friday, May 15, 2015

WELCOME!

WELCOME TO ST. PIUS X, AND WELCOME TO FRESHMAN ENGLISH!

Revenge of the Whale
Nathaniel Philbrick


I'm glad to be working with you in Freshman English this summer and in the coming school year! I have only assigned one book because we'll be doing several things with the book over the summer in preparation for the fall. For the first blog post, I'm going to give you important information about the summer. Please read carefully.

  • Make sure you have purchased Revenge of the Whale, by Nathaniel Philbrick, by June 1. The first blog post will be June 3, so I'm trying to give you enough time to purchase/order the book. You will be annotating the book for your first major grade of the fall semester, so make sure you have a book you can write in. Your annotated book will be due on the first day of class. No exceptions.
  • In order to get credit for your summer read, you will need to enter into discussion on the blog, which will give you important information for reading and annotating. This will also enable you to meet one another, virtually at least, before school starts. I will add your email to the group, as well as your parents' SPX email address by June 1.
  • Please email me at any time at jcollier@spx.org. In the subject line, please type REVENGE. You should use your SPX student email which you just received at Freshman Registration. I will also be forwarding the assignment to your parents at their parent SPX email.
  • The blog will be updated for discussion on the following dates. You will need to check in on those dates for a discussion and annotation directions, and you will have two weeks to respond to that date's discussion assignment. I hope this makes your reading a little more relaxing and interesting! Please note that once I post, you have two weeks to respond to THAT post before I post the next blog. DO NOT POST A COMMENT EARLY!
Wednesday, June 3   You should have read THE PREFACE by this date. The response for this post will deal with THE PREFACE.

Wednesday, June 17  You should have read Chs. 1-3 by this date. The response for this post will deal with Chs. 1-3. Your response should be posted between 6/17 and 6/30.

Wednesday, July 1  You should have read Chs. 4-6 by this date. The response for this post will deal with Chs. 4-6. Your response should be posted between 7/1 and 7/14.

Wednesday, July 15   You should have read Chs. 7-10 by this date. The response for this post will deal with Chs. 7-10. Your response should be posted between 7/15 and 7/28.

Wednesday, July 29  You should have read Chs. 11-14 and THE EPILOGUE. The response for this post will deal with Chs. 11-14 and THE EPILOGUE. Your response should be posted between 7/29 and 8/4.

Get ready for an amazing true story of courage. This summer, you may want to tip your hat to the creatures of the ocean before jumping in!

~~Mrs. Collier~~

40 comments:

  1. Ryan Planas, IHM class of 2015 saying hello to my fellow 2019 classmates. I am following in my Uncle’s footsteps by attending St. Pius. However I hope to become the first graduate of St. Pius in my family. My uncle transferred to Lakeside High School for his junior and senior years. Throughout our entire family we all have passion for baseball and golf. I am planning on trying out for these sports for my spring activities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perfect! Looking forward to working with you!

      Delete
  2. Hi everyone, my name is Alex Benjamin and I graduated from St. John the Evangelist. My dad graduated from St. Pius and I have 2 current siblings that attend who are rising seniors. I enjoy athletic training which I will be doing this fall as well as in the drama department. I can't wait to meet the rest of you guys!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I met you during Open House? Or sometime this year, I remember! Another Benjamin! Looking forward to working with you, too!

      Delete
  3. Hi everyone, my name is Gregory Rose and I graduated from St. Thomas More. One of my brothers graduated from St. Pius and now I have a brother there that is going to be a rising Sophomore. I enjoy playing basketball which I will be trying for next year. I'm looking forward to meeting all of you guys!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to meet you! Do you go by Greg or Gregory? Who's your brother?!

      Delete
    2. I go by Gregory, and my brother is Andrew Gray

      Delete
  4. Hi Everyone, my name is Zach Siebert and I recently graduated from St. John Neumann. I am the first person in my family to attend St. Pius because no one in my family is originally from Georgia. I love to play baseball, and usually play on fall and spring teams. I hope to play for the St. Pius team, and to continue playing in to college. I enjoy playing and watching most sports, and I can't wait to meet everyone in my class.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So, Zach, where are you from if no one in your family is originally from Georgia?! Baseball is BIG here at SPX. Welcome!

      Delete
  5. Hello, my name is Erin Collins and I graduated from St. Thomas More. My Sister is a rising junior at St. Pius. My main sport is tennis but i also golf and play volleyball! I can't wait to meet everyone!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looks like STM is making a strong showing! Golf and volleyball are also big sports here at Pius. You'll be very busy. :)

      Delete
  6. Hi, my name is Ashley Downen and I recently graduated from Immaculate Heart of Mary. Both my aunt and uncle graduated from St. Pius and my mother attended St. Pius for her freshmen and sophomore years. I love to play volleyball which I will be trying for this year. I can't wait to meet everyone!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another IHM-er! This class will be well represented, with SJE, STM, SJN, and IHM so far. Nice to meet you. :)

      Delete
  7. Hi my name is Blake Thatch and I graduated from IHM. I have one brother that did not attend Pius. He is in the navy. I love to play basketball, golf, and football. I will try to play all three at Pius. Looking forward to meeting all of you guys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to meet you, Blake. It sounds like you'll be busy.

      Delete
  8. Hi im Justin Batista and I graduated from Saint Jude. I am the first to attend Pius out of my five siblings. I love to play football and golf, and excited to play them at Pius. Reading this novel will be a fun experience, and I can't wait to talk about it with everybody.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Justin! Did you work with Mrs. Bleacher?!

      Delete
  9. Hi I'm Justin Paetznick and I graduated from STM. My dad is the band teacher at Pius and my brother is now a senior at Pius. I like to play soccer and I like to be in the band. I hope everyone is having a great summer and I'm looking forward to meeting all of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Justin! I met you in the hall when you were walking around with your Lion Leaders! I'm sure I"ll be seeing you around. :)

      Delete
  10. Hi my name is Sean Laubenthal and I graduated from STM. My brother Connor just graduated from SPX. My main sport is wrestling, and I also play baseball. Hope to meet everyone soon!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Sean! I knew I'd seen your last name before! Welcome. :)

      Delete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, my name is Lexie Clarkson and I graduated from Our Lady of the Assumption. I don't have any family that went to St. Pius. My hobbies are cheerleading and swimming. I am excited to meet all of you soon!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Lexie! My son went to OLA. Love that place! Did you have Mrs. Baxter?

      Delete
  13. Hello my name is Daniel Teran. My last school was NDA. I do not have any relative in St. Pius but I have a few friends. My hobbies are sports. My favorite one Baseball. I am very excited to start at St. Pius soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome, Daniel! Are you the one who's been traveling this summer, early on?

      Delete
  14. Hello my name is DeMarcus Mitchell. I am a graduate of St. Martin's Episcopal School. My brother graduated from SPX in 2014. My hobbies are football and baseball. I cannot wait to meet you all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Demarcus! Who is your brother? I love St. Martin's! I used to work with Mrs. Byrd, but she may be before your time. :)

      Delete
  15. Hello my name is Griffin Waugh I'm from NDA and there are no SPX alumni from my family and I enjoy fishing and football.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're the second NDA person! Do y'all know one another?

      Delete
  16. Hello, my name is Paola Fernandez. I have just recently graduated from SJN and I will be the first member to attend St. Pius in my family. Soccer is my favorite sport and I look forward to joining the St. Pius soccer team.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello, my name is Matthew Mitchell. I graduated from SJN. Football is my favorite sport. I am looking forward to playing on the football team at SPX.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another one from SJN! Did you have Mrs. Sneed? I heard she broke her arm or something and haven't been able to get in touch with her...

      Delete
  18. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hello! My name is Matthew Horner, and last year I attended Saint Francis Middle School. I have two older sisters, neither of whom have attended Saint Pius. I have many hobbies and interests such as sports like ultimate frisbee, baseball, and basketball. I also love the lake, and I enjoy water tubing and boating.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi My name is Joe Koenraad, and I graduated from OLA. Two of my aunts and my cousin attended SPX. I love to play golf and fish so I am looking forward to reading this book.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi, my name is Nick Kosek. I graduated from Christ the King. My older sister Kendall is a senior this year. I like baseball and soccer.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi my name is carolay Ospina. I graduated from pinckneyville middle school and I'm the first person in my family to attend St Pius . I love to play soccer and hope to join the soccer team

    ReplyDelete